(PM) PM2eR - Cisco 2501 connection

Jerry O'Brien (jobrien@cuttingedge.net)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:14:09 -0600

I can't get this setup to work:

PM2eR <-> Adtran DSU IV ESP <-> Leased 56K <-> Adtran CSU/DSU <-> Cisco 2501

I suspect the Cisco serial port is bad, but I'm not positive. The CSUs both
test the line OK end-to-end. When I look at the Cisco serial port is says
the port is up, but the line protocol is down.

#show interface serial 1
Serial1 is up, line protocol is down
Hardware is HD64570
Internet address is 192.168.2.1/30
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, rely 255/255, load 1/255
Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)
LCP Listen
Closed: cdp
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 06:21:50
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
4686 packets input, 65604 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
8046 packets output, 112644 bytes, 0 underruns
992 carrier transitions
DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

I guess this means the Cisco is receiving and at least trying to send since
there are a goodly number of both input and output packets??

I went through Cisco's troubleshooting drill with the CSU in loopback, but
still the line protocol doesn't come up, and I don't see the keepalive
reports they mention in the debug output. The debug output just keeps saying
the port was reset, as is confirmed by the interface resets above.

On the PM end, it reports that it regularly attempts to restart W1. The
Cisco LED flashes every 33 sec.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong, or tell me how to confirm whether the
Cisco serial port is defective.

Thanks!

Jerry O'Brien