Re: (PM) Switching to PM3

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 17:37:45 -1000 (HST)

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Glen Rushing wrote:

> Bet I'll get some mixed replies to this but it's the best place to get
> honest opinions, I hope :)
> I am currently running WIN NT 4.0 SP3 with Rocket Ports and 75 USR
> Analog 33.6 modems.
> I am an ISP and have one full T-1 to the WWW with 350 users
> Seriously contemplating the purchase of 2 PortMaster-3s with 56k digitals.
> Probably one with 48 and one with 28.
> Other than the Channelized T-1 lines that will have to be installed, what
> else MIGHT I need other than what comes with the PM3s? Hardware/Software?

If you go with CT1 then I'd say get 5x10 Modem cards. this is so you
won't get dead air and also will have hot spares available if a DSP or 2
die. It also means you don't have to track which slot has the 8 modem
card in it ;)

As Jake said, UPS is good to have, ether switch if you don't have one
already.

What are you using for routing currently? If RIP v1 only, then consider
switching to OSPF for your interior network, this will make later
subnetting and configuration simpler.

Get the Java Tools for maintenance and configuration. Also consider
setting up MRTG (using SNMP). though personally I'm sticking with
PmConsole to do my current upgrades, but that'll be obsoleted soon.

RADIUS would be probably best done with LRABU Radius NT. Depending on
your current schema you may not have to do any changes for the
login/passwords.

Otherwise, archives at www.livingston.com and www.nexial.nl are good
places to look for specific items. OH, and the tech notes/bulletins at
www.livingston.com

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood Got Clue? If so: ISPF! The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>