(PM) Re: Portmaster Users Digest V99 #43

Chris J. Magnuson (chrism@peakpeak.com)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 07:24:42 -0700

>From: "Mike Roberts" <mike@datawest.net>
>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:54:59 -0700
>Subject: (PM) PM# counters
>
>Hi,
>
>How do I reset the counters for Line0 and Line1 on my PM3s
>
>Mike Roberts

<Raising hand> Oh! Oh! Teacher! Pick me!!

Then later:

>From: "Andrew Doolittle" <andy@ra.lucent.com>
>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:14:46 -0800
>Subject: FW: (PM) PM# counters
>
>Or use PMVision and reset the counters per screen.

Still later:

>From: Thomas Kinnen <tkinnen@livingston.com>
>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:47:28 -0800
>Subject: Re: (PM) PM# counters
>
>Mike Roberts wrote:
>
>> How do I reset the counters for Line0 and Line1 on my PM3s
>
>You can not without a reboot. To do so would appear as a rollover to
>SNMP so resetting them is a no-no. However PMVision offers a reset

Clue meter off the scale here to the left, the counters are basically
useful for troubleshooting telco issues, sometimes over many days/weeks,
and PMVision won't stay running that long without crashing. I think we can
all deal with rollover detection *iff* we were using SNMP in some way that
required this. Even accepting that, having separate internal data
structures for this would consume what, 32 bytes of memory?

I've assembled numerous great minds, and here is what we came up with for a
solution. You grab the power cord, yank it out of the wall, then plug it
back in. Works like a champ, it is also great for learning how to deal
with hostile feelings from customers when they call you on the phone to
complain. None of us get enough of that in our day so this is always
welcome.

I asked for this feature for almost 2 years and nothing. This would take
the butt-stupidest firmware engineer they have at Lucent less than half a
day to add AND test between Mtn Dew breaks. But they *won't* add it. Won't.

Chris