RE: (PM) ComOS version

Richard Morrell (portmaster@ednet.co.uk)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:39:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> If your portmaster is rebooting so often, have you attached to the consol=
> port and sent lots of useful debug traces to support. If you do, it might
> even get fixed. If you are helping the support people diagnose your
> problems, then you will get a fix a lot sooner.

You obviously didn't bother to check with anyone else in the organisation
before you sent this. I have been working VERY closely with the support
people from my distributor and Lucent directly (even though such practices
are actively discouraged by Lucent). I have run every engineering/beta
version of ComOS that was available to me so I could provide feedback to
Lucent. I also have provided full debug traces whenever possible. I
didn't have a trace running on the current one because:

a) I was not advised to run a trace
b) I don't know what debug flags would be useful to support for tracing
this problem
c) The portmaster had been up for over 18 days before crashing, so this
would mean having a very long trace file

I'd happily run a trace for you (or anyone else), what debug flags should
I set?=20

> You can change the IP address on all PMs without having to reboot.
> As all networking systems need an IP address and a netmask.
> If you change the IP address "set ether0 addr 1.1.1.1"
> It is only activated if you then set the netmask.
> "set ether0 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> Even if the netmask is not actually changing, typing the set command
> activates it.

Thanks for correcting me on this. However, a couple of points:

1) This is extremely non-intutive, which wouldn't be so bad on it's own
but...
2) Both the command-line reference and the configuration guide both state:

"Setting the IP Address During the PortMaster installation process, you
set the IP address for the Ethernet interface. To later change the IP
address of the Ethernet interface, use the following command: =20

Command> set Ether0 address Ipaddress

Note =96 If you change the IP address of the Ethernet interface, you must
reboot the PortMaster for the change to take effect."

(worded slightly differently between the config guide and the command
guide, but message is the same)

If the above is no longer true, can you have them correct the mistake in
the manuals please? Could you also ask the powers at be to change the
silly business of having to set the netmask to change the IP address? I
think most people would agree that this is quite un-necessary.

--
Richard Morrell                                           richard@ednet.co.=
uk