RE: (PM) ComOS version

James Courtier-Dutton (dutton@livingston-ent.co.uk)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:40:47 -0000

Hello Richard.
If your portmaster is rebooting so often, have you attached to the console
port and sent lots of useful debug traces to support. If you do, it might
even get fixed. If you are helping the support people diagnose your
problems, then you will get a fix a lot sooner.
You can change the IP address on all PMs without having to reboot.
As all networking systems need an IP address and a netmask.
If you change the IP address "set ether0 addr 1.1.1.1"
It is only activated if you then set the netmask.
"set ether0 netmask 255.255.255.0"
Even if the netmask is not actually changing, typing the set command
activates it.
If you want to change the IP address for a very short time, use ifconfig.
Ifconfig is not remembered over a reboot.
type "ifconfig" to find out what the current active setting is.
Also do a "sh netcon"
The PM will still listen on the old IP address for connection.
just do a reset nx where x is the connection you want to reset.
The listen port will automatically be recreated using the PMs new ethernet
address.
Good Luck
James