Re: (PM) Multicast Routing

John Storms (jstorms@livingston.com)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:46:22 -0800

The IGMP feature being worked on for PM4.1 is an IGMP proxy and not a full
blown IGMP implementation. It is being developed for a particular
application and may only be applicable in a limited number of sites.

At 06:03 PM 2/16/99 -0600, Dave wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, John Storms wrote:
>
>> At the moment we do not support IGMP. There are no firm plans to
>> incorporate this feature into the PortMaster. OSPF and RIPv2 (in PM4
>> 4.1 alphas) use multicast addresses, but this is far from a full
>> fledged IGMP implementation.
>
>I know that OSPF (I presume that it uses multicast, as that's standard for
>OSPF) has been working on the PM4 since we got ours, running 4.0.b11, and
>it continues to run on 4.0.3. I've heard through the grapevine that IGMP
>should be supported in 4.1, though I don't know that the implementation
>will be fully functional.
>
>--
>David Thomas <dat@insync.net> (v) (713) 407-7000 x121
>Network Administrator (f) (713) 407-7070
>Insync Internet Services, Inc. (p) (713) 200-7857
>
>-

---
jstorms@lucent.com (Galactic Hero)
Diplomacy:  The art of saying good doggie
while seaching for a big rock.