Re: (PM) Filter to limit incoming telnets

Thomas Kinnen (tkinnen@livingston.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:39:03 -0800

Lisa Casey wrote:

> If someone could help me out here a bit, I'ld appreciate it. I'ld like to
> block incoming telnets to my PM3 (ComOS 3.8.2) to everyone except those
> coming from my Class C. I assume I'ld do this via a filter. I've looked
> through the archives, but still don't feel comfortable about how to
> accomplish this (I've not used any filters before and ought to remedy
> that!). Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Here is a basic one to get you on track:

permit w.x.y.z/24 x.y.z.y/32 tcp dst eq 23
deny 0.0.0.0/0 x.y.z.y/32 tcp dst eq 23
permit 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 ip

Line 1 permit telnet to the PM from the /24 address block
Line 2 deny all other telnet to the /32 ip of the PM
Line 3 allow everything else

Without line 3 all other IP packets would be killed.

----
Thomas C Kinnen - <tkinnen@livingston.com> <tkinnen@sobhrach.com>
[Test Engineer - Radius ABM] - LUCENT Technologies RABU
"All of the opinions stated above are my own and not my employer's,
unless they were given to me by my employer"