Re: (PM) Compaq Modems

John Vozza (john@netrom.com)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:45:23 -0500 (EST)

Compaq modems on newer systems, last 6 months or so are complete crap even
when upgraded with latest code.

Even worse is when you try to replace them with a "real" modem. Anyone
that has some ideas I would love some hints!

I replaced a compaq modem with a Zoltrix internal ISA based modem which I
have used in 100's of systems. Now the modem only dials every 1 out of 3 or
4 attempts! Re-did the DUN connection, re-installed dial-up networking,
tried 3 brand new modems and all exhibit the same "dial 1 out 3 times"
(Connect box comes up showing dialing, you hear modem click, but no
dial-tone and no dialing of digits) BTW the same modems work perfectly in a
non-compaq machine.

I removed the old modem driver and references to it in system.ini (yes
system.ini) and still the same problem.

HELP!!!

John
NetRom Internet Services 973-208-1339 voice
john@netrom.com 973-208-0942 fax
http://www.netrom.com