Re: (PM) RFE - Change PM-4 port numbering

Robert Boyle (robert@garden.net)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 02:38:46 -0500

At 11:15 PM 2/13/1999 -0800, MegaZone wrote:
>Once upon a time Thomas Kinnen shaped the electrons to say...
>>Overall adding either an attribute for the blade number or making the
>>numbers unique across the chassie would be nice and reduce the problem but
>>it would not remove it.
>
>While I agree that, based on what was posted here, it sounds like Robert's
>system has some flaws (I hope he isn't doing simultaneous use control based
>ONLY on RADIUS Packets - that's flawed) I do think port numbers should be
>differentiated. So, let's look at the RFC:

If they show as online, we double check using SNMP. MZ, Please read my
follow-up to the list for the details since the system works VERY well with
hundreds of ports in use.

>Ok. Now, unless you plan to have more than 999 ports PER SLOT soon, I
>propose the following format:
>
>XXYYY - where XX is the slot, and YYY is the port number.
>
>Say port five on slot 4 would be 04005 - port 4005. I belive the slots
>are numbered 00-09 (I know, the ethernet, etc, have slot numbers - I'm
>taking physical slots.) One advantage to this is immediately knowing
>what slot a port is in. 9096 is port 96, slot 9. 96 is port 96, slot 0.

That is a great idea. I second this and I would really, really like to see
it in ComOS 4.1...

-Robert

Tellurian Networks (Formerly Garden Networks)
Quality Nationwide Internet Access since 1995
Access, Co-location, Development & Consulting
http://www.tellurian.net (973)300-9211 Ext.103
Earth first! We'll stripmine the other planets later.
"The penalty for censoring what your children are
taught is children who are no brighter than you."
Finger robert@tellurian.net for PGP public key