Re: (PM) OIDs for PM3 (fwd)

Jeff Haas (jmh@mail.msen.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:30:19 -0500

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 03:55:50PM -0800, MegaZone wrote:
> There is no OID for CPU - in fact the PM doesn't track it at all. There
> is no CPU monitoring in ComOS. I'm not a kernel person, but it was once
> explained to me that it is a factor in the core design of ComOS that makes
> CPU monitoring useless. It doesn't act like say a UNIX kernel or IOS.

Useless? How about when packet filters are applied? Livingston
is pretty much declaring that is your only reasonable choice
to prevent people from stealing accounts by grabbing debug 0x51 info.

And then there's adding choicenet filters.
What about anti-spoofing filters?

All of these filters burn CPU time. It would be nice to have some
other metric for business of your PM other than your customers leaving
because you decide security is important.

[Not that this is your problem anymore...]

--
Jeffrey Haas -+- jmh@msen.com -+- http://www.msen.com/~jmh
/\/\sen, Inc. "Michigan's Best Run Internet Service Provider."