Re: (PM) filter traffic for retail users

Brendan Pratt (bpratt@overflow.net.au)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:21:35 +1000

Hi Samudra,

-----Original Message-----
From: Samudra E Haque <haque@pradeshta.net>

>I want to set a filter on the portmaster for small use retail users, who
>need e-mail, basic web browsing, NO Serving of any kind from their own
>hosts, IRC, ICQ etc. but no voice apps or telephony apps.
>
>Could somebody provide a clue as to how to limit or identify the ports
>that voice apps and telephony apps use?

One of my account types is like that, I simply block UDP ports above 6900
(that allows them to use IRC and ICQ). I also block TCP port 7070 on both in
and out filters.

>Is there any logic to deny the usage of all ports other than the simple
>internet services?

If you want to go in to paranoid mode, then sure, but if I think I know what
you are after, then something similar to what I've done might be what you
want.

C u laitr