Re: (PM) USR Sportster Modems

Thomas Kinnen (tkinnen@livingston.com)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 03:21:22 -0800

Dewayne Hayes wrote:

> I have a PM2e with USR Sportster 56k ext modems attached for dial-in. I
> have been getting very poor connection speeds (<26400). I looked at the
> modems configuration and noticed that they had never been updated to
> V.90. I went to the usr update page and upgraded to V.90. the config of
> the modems now shows V.90 capable but now the modems will not allow
> connections. The baud rate in the modem config is showing 57600. Do I
> need to change that to 115200. If so, What is the string to do it with?

Few things. First, you are not expecting speeds above 33.6K correct?
For a 56K connection to work one side of the connection must be
digital. If you never see speeds above 26400 that is a good indication
your lines or your customer lines may go though an SLC. This lets the
phone company get extra channels out of a trunk but also kills high
speed modem connects.

----
Thomas C Kinnen - <tkinnen@livingston.com> <tkinnen@ra.lucent.com>
"All of the opinions stated above are my own and not my employer's,
unless they were given to me by my employer"