Re: (PM) UPDATE: Fast Busies on PM3

Blaz Zupan (blaz@gold.amis.net)
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 10:22:53 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Christopher Masto wrote:
> That's the end of my little rant. The PM3 does a pretty decent job,
> and if you turn on massive amounts of debugging, and spend a few days
> figuring out what it means and tracking down the relevant
> documentation, you can actually get a lot of that info.. but I can't

Yes, that's exactly how I feel as well. On this list we can often see
praise of ComOS, because "it is so easy to configure". Yes it is, but when
you have a problem, it is HARD to debug, because you don't have as much
information as you could.

I hate to mention it, but yes, Cisco IOS can be sometimes hard to use, but
you really can't beat the amount of information it can give you when you
have a problem. With ComOS, you have to argue on this list (and rfe as
much as you like) before your face gets red and you give up...

The most simple example: which port uses which B channel? With the
officialy documented commands, you can't find it out. Luckily somebody
found the "munich" commands, which DO display this information. What is
the problem with making a public command out of it???? Or why doesn't the
B channel actually correspond to the S port (B channel 5 is S5)? I haven't
heard a convincing argument yet, except for "it would be hard to
implement".

Another simple example: after more then 1 year of waiting, a ComOS 3.7.2c4
for PM2's appears on the FTP site. Why is there no documentation for it?
Why does no Lucent employee want to comment on it here (even a "somebody
goofed and shouldn't have put it up there in the first place" would be
just fine).

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia