Re: PRI, T1, E1 daffynitions (was Re: (PM) No answers!)

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 18:21:27 -1000 (HST)

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Richard Morrell wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, I don't work for Lucent RABU wrote:
>
> > PRI == 23b + 1d
> > E1 == 30b + 2d
> >
> > Why? Because PRI is on T1 and E1 is E1 (Is the E1 ever called Euro-PRI?)
>
> I'm afraid this is slightly out.
>
> PRI != 23b + 1d
> E1 != 30b + 2d
>
> PRI == Primary Rate ISDN
> T1 == a 1.544Mb/s digital circuit used in the US (and other places)
> E1 == a 2Mb/s digital circuit used in Europe (and other places)
>
> PRI delivered over T1 == 23b + 1 (64k) d
> PRI delivered over E1 == 30b + 1 (128k) d

Ah, I've been told 2 d channels on E1, possibly it's a configuration
issue. Ugh, and I didn't want to add in NFAS into the morass... where you
could run 24b on a PRI if you have it grouped with (usually) other PRIs
running 1d ch and a backup d ch. btw, NFAS is still in beta for the PM3.

> Yes, PRI over E1 is sometimes called Euro-ISDN but only by American
> companies selling their products over here. :-P

Typical Americanismz!

> Your references are correct, but slightly ambigous (which might have
> caused the confusion).

The hardest part about these 'daffynitions' are that supposed industry
people interchange some incorrectly. Have you ever tried to find
Channelized T1 defined? 8) Most online telecomm dictionaries I've looked
at don't even touch it.

> Sorry to be a pedant...

It's no problem... 8) getting things correct is always good!

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood Got Clue? If so: ISPF! The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>