Re: (PM) No answers!

Mark Salerno (msalerno@globalserve.net)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:03:14 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Shawn Ring wrote:

> I have PM3s using channelized T1s. I am experiencing, to often to ignore,
> problems where a customer will dial in and get no answer. It ill just
> remain silent, not even a ring. I have plenty of lines ready to except the
> calls. I see them close to fill up every night. But this problem happens
> anytime during the day and I have PM3s available. Could this be a telco
> issue, or are the PM3s just not answering?
> I am also finding 2 portmasters with a bad modem. I have put in "set m32
> off" to busy the bad ones out (neither of them are m32, I am just using
> this one as an example), will that cause the issue in the first paragraph?

How many modems are installed in that PM3? If you have less modems
available than the amount of incoming channels on that PM3, you will see
dead air and/or slow busies. (The rack takes the call and tries to
allocate a modem if it's not ISDN, and if it can't find any available
modems, will report no available modems).

As for the 'bad modem', I'd suggest calling it into Lucent. They can
determine whether the modem is good/bad, and deal with it accordingly
(RMA, swap slots, etc).

-mjs
[Mark Salerno (MSofty!msalerno@globalserve.net) ]
[Director of Network Operations, Globalserve Internet Services ]
[-] "Darkling, I listen, and for many a time -J.Keats
I have been half in love with easeful death..." [-]