Re: (PM) Modem Init Strings

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 12:26:20 -0500 (EST)

Don't know. I use one from home and typically get 2 48000 bps connects
for a 96000 bps connect using PRI and ComOS 3.8. Maybe 1 retrain/reneg.
max every 3-4 hours and speed stays stable over days online. Did nothing
special with init strings using latest firmware and shotgun drivers on
W95/W98. Its actually pretty nifty because I get over 10 KBps on
compressed files and sometimes 20-25 on compressible files which compares
favorably against ISDN dialup w/o Stac compression. I would look at telco
conditions. Diamond in our experience seems to have one of the best
Rockwell drivers out there for working with 3.8. Only two modems that
work better seem to be the Lucent LT Winmodem and USR Courier in that
order. Better than Zoom's current release. (I still have one of the Liv
givaway Zoom 2848's, it works great but not as good as the Shotgun II).