Re: HCF modems no go against Livingston was Re: (PM) Fast connects,

pmaster@sentex.net
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:57:33 GMT

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:31:27 +0200 (EET), in sentex.lists.livingston
you wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Livingston Portmaster wrote:
>
>> I *REALLY* hope this is being addressed in the next ComOS, and that its
>> coming out VERY soon. Whether or not these are crappy modems, the fact
>> is that we are losing customers to our competitors because they are not
>> using PM3s and these modems work well enough against Ascends and Ciscos...
>
>We have seen fairly good success rates with HCF modems with the newer
>software that's coming out for them now. Diamonds Supras have a 2.1.135 (I
>think it was) version of the software that connects very nicely to our
>PM3; also, the finnish TeleWell modems running the HCF chipset work well
>with that same revision of the software. We're seeing connects in the
>high 40s, usually.

Yes, I too can get pretty high connects no problem... The problem is
that ping times are > 400ms and that the line will drop randomly with
a Call Circut Closed anywhere from 5min to 5hrs into the session....
And as someone discovered on the lists, "Call Circut Closed" does not
necessarily mean that the remote modem hung up... If you do a 'reset
m<#>' the connection of course drops, but the result code is "call
circut closed"...

>I'm still wondering though (the question got sidetracked into stuff about
>init strings and stuff): is it possible to use the HCF code for one modem
>brand with another brand of modem? Anyone tried it?

We have tried just about everything we can think of in terms of init
strings with these modems... still the same problems.

>There is no doubt there are issues with the PM3 modem code, we still have
>a disproportionate amount of problems, but there is no doubt either that
>the earlier HCF software versions suck so hard they create a vacuum, as
>one person put it.

For sure these modems suck, but sadly they seem to suck less against
our competitors Ascends and Ciscos....

---Mike
Mike Tancsa (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,