Re: (PM) MPPP problems (fwd)

Donald Reiher (dreiher@safeaccess.net)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:25:16 -0500

At 09:00 PM 11/15/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Once upon a time Donald Reiher shaped the electrons to say...
>>If I dial in 2 Multilink calls to the same Portmaster, should
>>I see MLPPP Slave in the "show all" for the 2nd link? Right
>
>No, you should not. 'Slave' is only part of MCPPP.
>
>>now I just see ptp50 (or whatever) for both connections. If
>
>Then it is working correctly.
>
>>it should. . . then there is possibly a problem with Novell's
>>negotiation commands for MLPPP.
>
>The client has NO influence over this at all.
>
>I really don't believe this is meaningful. Ie, I think the issue with
>same box or two boxes is spurious and isn't part of the real issue.
>
>I remember you said earlier that if you dailed 1010321, or one of those
>10X codes thta it works better. That points *directly* at a padding
>problem - and nothing else.

BTW- Thanks for the help

I have found that the 1010321 gets me connected successfully almost
every time. Even with the 1010321 I still can't do MPP on one PM3.

There are 2 problems here. . .one is the 4800-9600 baud thing, the
other is the MPP on one PM3 thing. The former has made the latter
VERY difficult to debug.

Do you think static routes (numbered connections) screw up the
PM3s? I have also tried static routes (un-numbered) and it seems
to work OK.

My ISP has routes for most of the PM3 subnets set up in the cisco
as ROUTE IP x.x.200.0 Ethernet0 and lets the PM3s decide which one
gets which addresses by means of Framed-Routes. We have another
range x.x.201.0 which is not in the cisco at all. That is the
range I have had the most luck with. The range of "numbered"
ips is also routed in the cisco as
ROUTE IP x.x.198.0 Ethernet0.

If I try and use one of the 200.0 addresses, unnumbered with
no static routes in the cisco, I cannot ping any other address
in the 200.0 subnet. MPP does not work at all this way. Also,
reconnects take about a minute before pings start working again.

I am now using the 201.0 range (no routes in the cisco) with
a numbered ip (with the Ethernet0 route in the cisco) and I
can ping everything in the 200.0 range, but nothing in the
201.0 range. Reconnects are faster. . . pings start working
almost immediately. MPP works on cross chasssis. . . not
on the same PM3.