Re: (PM) Need help w/ debugging a PM3

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:07:53 -0700 (PDT)

On 29 Jul 1998, Henrik Johansson wrote:

> a couple of days ago, we started to get some serious trouble w/ one of
> the POPs. It's 2 full PM-3A-2E running 3.8b13 connected via PRI's to a
> Nokia DX 200. The PM3s are actually located in the same room as the DX
> 200. Now, a couple of days ago, a lot of people have started calling our
> support complaining about not beeing able to connect any longer. They
> have to try over and over again, and after perhaps 7 tries, it works.
> Even our own office nearby have the same problem when connecting via
> modem.

Not connect can mean many things...is the modem handshake failing (they
can hear this if their modem speaker is turned on and you can see this on
your side somewhat by doing a "show sessions" while they try to connect)?
Is it connecting, but PPP negotiation is just failing (do a "set debug
0x51" and use the PPP Decoder under Debug Tools on our web site to read
it)?

> I have started to do some debugging, but to be honest, the debugging
> ain't that good on the PM3s. Is there really no way of redirecting the
> debugging info to a syslog host? Right now, it's really hard to see what
> you're looking for. Second, as soon as I turn on the console (set
> console), I start receiving quite a lot of these messages, wheter or not
> I have turned on debugging or not:
>
> (S2) PPP recv: BAD CRC - mdp M0
> (S2) PPP recv: BAD CRC - mdp M0
> (S2) PPP recv: BAD CRC - mdp M0
>
> Now, they're pretty annoying. First, what do they mean, are they serious?
> Second, can I turn the messages off somehow?

I believe these only come up with mdp debugging on, but I'm not totally
sure of that so don't hold me to it. Anyhow, are these always on the same
DSP ("m0" above) or different ones? Do a "show mX" for the particular DSP
it is complaining about when this happens and verify the error correction
on the connection (or lack of if it says "direct")?

> Second, when speaking to a customer on the phone, it would be nice to
> know which of the incoming calls that's actually the customers, is that
> possible somehow? Another POP we have, is based on Ascend 4000, and that
> logs Caller ID etc to syslog, which makes it way easier to debug, is
> that possible to do somehow on the PM3, syslog or not?

Detailed caller/user info is logged via RADIUS, including
Called-Station-Id and Calling-Station-ID (i.e. "Caller ID"). Syslog only
receives the basics and only if it is configured to do so.

> In short, when you do debugging etc, what do you do really? I've checked
> the PRIs, and they look good;
[..]
> and the same for line1. As you see, no counted violations. I'm actually
> stuck at what the problem could be. I mean, a lot of people can still
> connect etc, so it's not like it isn't working at all. Could it be a
> switch problem? I have spoken to the telco guys, and they have said they
> do have some problems w/ the switch, but not anything that they think is
> connectd to our problems.

Your lines look good at the physical layer. Have you always ran 3.8b13 on
these PM-3s? Did the telco change anything a couple days ago when your
users started complaining? I would do the above suggested things and also
speak with the telco on any changes that they may have made.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>