Re: (PM) collissions revisited

Doug Ingraham (dpi@rapidnet.com)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:34:42 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:

> I know there was some discussion a while ago about the normal level of
> collissions, and this seems to be above what was agreed upon as normal
>
> Name Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Collis Resets Queue
> ether0 15454087 0 15474705 47 320326 131 0
>
> Livingston PortMaster PM-3 ComOS 3.8b17
> System uptime is 12 days 23 hours 55 minutes
>
> 320326 collissions in 12 days, is this normal?

This is only 2% so is nothing to worry about. The resets is what you
should be more concerned with. There shouldn't be any in a properly
working setup. You probably have a funky cable or interface somewhere on
the ethernet. I have a fairly active PM-2 with an uptime of 194 days and
it has zero Oerrs and zero Resets. Because it is on its own port on a
switched hub it has a very low number of collisions 206727 and 269141652
packets giving a 0.07% collision ratio. Before you ask why there are any
collisions I can tell you that it is because the PM's are half duplex
ethernets and so they occasionally will start to talk at the same time as
the hub at which point a collision is detected.

Collisions up to 20% are difficult to detect through observation. It is
when you get to 80% that everyone knows something is up.

Doug Ingraham The best defense against logic is ignorance.
Rapid City, SD
USA