Update was Re: (PM) L2TP

John Storms (jstorms@livingston.com)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 15:54:09 -0700

At 06:59 PM 7/13/98 +0100, Andy Mell wrote:
>I am getting a little impatient here watching all this talk about PM3s and
>ComOS 3.8beta. I do not have a PM3, but use lots of PM2s and ORs so will
>ComOS 3.8 ever come out for the PM2/OR in beta?

Yes, the plan is to release 3.8 onto the other PortMaster platform. Depending
on resource constraints not all the features of the PM3 3.8 will be passed on
to the other platforms, plus some features simply do not apply. We will not
go to beta on the other platforms until 3.8 is FCS'd on the PM3. Its easier
this way since operational bugs are out of the way and we just have to worry
about making it all fit. It has not been determined exactly which features
will be included and which will not.

Note, plans are subject to change, but this is the way things are looking.

>Does anyone know when Lucent will implement router based L2TP?

Yes. It is to be included in the 3.9 release along with IPSEC and NFAS.
L2TP is currently in Alpha test (It's also why I'm here this Saturday
afternoon)
and it is going quite well. Its a "nifty" protocol. Very little
configuration
required on the PortMaster other than Call-Check. A few new RADIUS attributes
and you're off.

NAT and NFAS are in well along in closed beta right now and are due for a
3.9 release.

The way we do this is to test (alpha/beta) L2TP, NFAS, VPN, etc, individually.
Then we integrate them into a common ComOS and test them again (alpha/beta)
make sure they play well with each other.

>What about HTTP setup interfaces?

Nope. We're already treading down another path with PMVision.

>While Livingston certainly seem to be making progress in the carrier class
>market, please dont forget us guys with little ORs and PM2s who just want to
>set up secure networks and VPNs. Nothing has happened for ages, so dont
>blame me for getting very worried about Livingston's commitment to that
>market. Private emails of reassurance are welcome from Livingston staff...

We're still working on and still have development plans for the other
PortMaster
platforms, but the resources for those platforms are being strecthed.

---
jstorms@lucent.com
Diplomacy:  The art of saying good doggie
while seaching for a big rock.