Re: (PM) What external modem do you like?

Jim Pazarena (qcinet4@ccstores.com)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:07:35 -0700 (PDT)

>From: "Paul S. Carlson" <pcarlson@saba.kuentos.guam.net>
>Subject: Re: (PM) What external modem do you like?
>Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:00:54 +1000 (GST)

><EXTINGUISH>
>hmm, we found the opposite here. Still having copper that was
>installed just after WW2, a very poor earth ground, an avg humidity
>of 95% and a telco run by the local Government gives us quite a range of
>telephone problems. (oh yea did I say the telco was run the govt.) We
>found the multitechs to connect just as well as anyone else and had less
>compability problems with mixed brands then any other. We also found that
>the ZDXs proform just as well as their heavyer cousins and smell the same
>when lightning strikes. We use ZDXs for all our non PM3 lines.
></EXTINGUISH>

I'm in the same boat. 5KM of copper to my 30port PM2ER. GVC 33.6 modems.
Connections occassionally at 28.8 but usually at 26.4. Now the local
competition has jumped in bed with the Telco and relocated *their* PM2ER
IN THE TELCO BUILDING. They are using USR MP16. Fairly solid 31.2 connections
with just as frequent 33.6 connections.

I've just learned that the GVC 33.6 modems have an S register (S91) which
is "Transmit attenuation range:0-15dBmv", default 10. Unfortunately the S
register wont't let you reduce the attenuation below the factory '10' without
a ROM upgrade to their 'ISP' ROM. But they're on their way. This *might* level
the playing field. Otherwise accordign to CRTC regulations, the local TELCO
has to provide anyone else with the same access under the same terms.

Digital lines aren't available in our location or I'd throw a PM3 in and 56K.

Isn't competition wonderful.

------
Jim Pazarena mailto:paz@qcislands.net
http://www.qcislands.net/paz