RE: (PM) pm3 filters

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 01:35:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Thomas C Kinnen wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Jon Lewis wrote:
>
> > Why would you want to permit any source IP? If you're going to the
> > trouble of making a filter, and you don't have a ridiculous number of CIDR
> > blocks, then only allow the subset of possibly valid source addresses.
>
> You need to do that since anything not allowed is denied.

That's the point. Re-read the above. I suspect at least some of the ISPs
on the list understood it.

Does anyone else think the net would be a better place if network hardware
manufacturers had to run small ISPs or freenets? Then they would know
exactly how their gear works in the "real world" and would be familiar
with real world issues.