Re: (PM) Maxtech XPM336i problem

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 00:13:46 -0700 (PDT)

On 7 Jul 1998, Mike Carlson wrote:

> I have a customer that has a Maxtech XPM336i modem that just doesn't
> work right with my PM3 but does fine with a competing ISP (they use Ascend
> Max I believe). His problem is that data flows very very slowly taking 3
> minutes to bring up our home page (which is vary sparse and only takes a
> few seconds). He is using Windows 98, but had problems before the
> upgrade. I had him adjust his MTU and all that, had him get his phone
> line checked, disable unneeded software, reinstalled DUN and tried a few
> init strings to turn of v.42bis as well. Nothing worked. As for my side,
> we're using a PM3 with PRI's the ComOS is 3.8b16/something (won't go to
> 3.8b17 yet since this one works perfectly and doesn't have any of the bugs
> in the new beta).

That "something" after the 3.8b16 prefix is HIGHLY important. If you
received any release claiming to be a 3.8b16/something than it was an
internal build and not publically released, so the only person that can
really tell you what modem code is in that release in the Engineer that
gave it to you. There was no such release to the public as a simply
"3.8b16" so that is a bit meaningless outside the context of development.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on what else might help this out?
> Is there just some compatibility problem between this modem and the PM3?
> He wasn't totally sure when I asked, but he said he thinks that data
> flows, then stops, then flows, etc. (which is why I tried tweaking the
> MTU).

The 3.8b16 builds that I am aware of were based upon the V.90 code in
3.8b15 with some tweaks. I'm not sure (and in fact doubt) that it has the
exact same DSP code as b17 and I know that it is not the same as b15,
which would mean it may have some of the V.34 still as well as other
issues, but again I have no way of knowing. Whomever did that build for
you could have changed just about anything.

I would advise that you either run 3.7.2c3 and see what happens and/or
work with the person who gave you that release.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>