Re: (PM) Collisions?

Tom (tom@sdf.com)
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 17:32:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Arnaud Girsch wrote:

> > We're running an IRX-111 plugged into a Cisco 1900 switch. What's a
> > good or bad number of collisions to have? Here's a capture of my IRX
> >
> > Name Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Collis Resets Queue
> > ether0 70866765 1348 71286555 0 192878 1 0
> > ptp1 71579036 1 70787927 0 0 0 0
> > ptp0 352285 2 298644 0 0 0 0
> > irx1>
> >
> > That ether0 seems insanely high but I really don't know... anyone?

collisions / out-packets * 100 = collision %

Yours at 0.27% is not bad. Livingston products are sensitive to
collisions (cause interface resets) so you should keep it under 5%. I've
never had any problems on other equipment all the way up to 10% (imagine
50 diskless Novell workstations on a single segment).

> The collision rate doesn't look so bad ... You can hardly avoid collisions
> on ethernet if it gets loaded a little, and yours is pretty low.

Yes you can avoid collisions, just on not on a IRX, PM2 or PM3 as they
only support half-duplex ethernet.

> I would be more concerned about the Ierrs and/or Oerrs.
>
> (I personnally gets a lot of Oerrs on one of my IRX111 also ... :=/ )
>
> Arnaud.
>
> --
> Arnaud C. Girsch -+- The OASys Group, Inc. - A Cabletron Subsidiary
> agirsch@OASysGroup.com -+- Tel: 408-872-0203 Fax: 408-872-0210 - Saratoga, CA
> TMN/Systems Engineer -+- http://www.OASysGroup.com/

Tom