Re: (PM) Which router to use for BGP-4?

Scott Drassinower (scottd@cloud9.net)
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 16:01:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:

> I thought we had this discussion before and 7 megs was the size of the bgp
> route table. I personally do not know. Im just going by what others
> posted.

It looks like it is about 10mb here. If PMs can really handle memory much
better than Ciscos can (for this app), then perhaps 32mb would be ok for
full BGP. I wonder how much memory the BGP process eats up on an IRX in
addition to just the routes and simply being on.

Is anyone actually doing this? I once spoke to someone at UUNet and he
wasn't aware of anyone using non-Cisco routers for BGP -- probably that
means he never set anyone up with a non-Cisco router for BGP.

> You could put 4 16 meg simms in an irx and get 64 megs.

I thought that the IRX did not take 16mb SIMMs. Interesting though.

It would be cool if Lucent came out with some new routers to compete
against Cisco in terms of mid-range products (like the 3640, maybe even
the 7206). Maybe something similar in construction to a PM3, but that had
WAN/Ethernet cards with 2 or 4 ports per card, and that could handle Fast
Ethernet.

--
 Scott M. Drassinower					    scottd@cloud9.net
 Cloud 9 Consulting, Inc.			       	     White Plains, NY