Re: (PM) new pm3 user

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:31:39 -0700 (PDT)

On 1 Jul 1998, Rick Foos wrote:

> At 04:09 PM 7/1/98 -0500, Jake Messinger wrote:
> >On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Rick Foos wrote:
> >
> >> 1. We have purchased a 768K connection to our ISP, basically they have
> >> only 6 channels turned on their CSU/DSU. How do we tell the pm3 to only
> >> use these 12 channels, right now we have it at a full T1, but we have to
> >> get this fixed as soon as possible.
> >
> >You dont, That is a function of the csu.dsu.
>
> We set the remote csu.dsu to 12 channels and the pm3 would not connect
> unless we set all 24 channels on the remote dsu, therefore, are you saying
> there is no way to tell the pm3 that the remote dsu only has 12 channels up
> instead of 24?

Yes, this is what the fractional setting is for. You must configure the
lineX on the PM for fractional and setup the groups (i.e. where you would
specify 12 channels to be used). There is a section in the manuals on
doing this, and possibly a technote (not 100% sure about the latter).

> >> 7. When we do a show modems, we get a lot of "LAPM DISCONNECT" and
> >> "CIRCUIT DISCONNECT"'s, what do these "disconnect" reasons mean?
> >
> >normal disconnect messages.
> Do you know where the documentation is that explains, in detail, these
> disconnect reasons?

Most of these are documented in the 3.7 ComOS release notes (or 3.7.2,
don't recall exactly at the moment).

> >> 9. We have a LOT of users, included myself, complaining of dropped
> >> connections when connected to these pm3's. I am personally using an
> >> External Zoom that Livingston sent me, I hardly ever got dropped when
> >> connected to our old analog pool and hardly ever got dropped when
> >> connected to a local Cisco box at 56K. Is there some settings I can check
> >> to help with this?
> >
> >what com os?
>
> 3.8b15

DO NOT run 3.8b15 unless you are specifically aware of the reasons why you
should (or should not) run it. It is Beta software and is intended for
non-production boxes, unless you are very comfortable with everything.
3.7.2c3 is the ONLY official release.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>