Re: (PM) LT Winmodem K56Flex

John G. Thompson (jgt10@livingston.com)
Thu, 02 Jul 1998 09:17:07 -0700

At 04:25 PM 6/30/98 -0400, jon-lists wrote:
>I'll copy this to the list as well, since i'd love to find out what the
>problem is.
>
>I tried it with their latest firmware.. they also sent me some v.90
>firmware for it.. I don't know if the LT Winmodem in the Winbook laptops
>are any different from the DSP in the LT for desktops.. sounds like the
>same ole story though for both units. K56Flex no workie. :) At least we
>have it reported not to work with LT Winmodem on 3 ComOS version now..
>3.7.2c3, 3.8b15 and b17
>
>If LT actually does stand for Lucent Technologies, It would be rather
>humorous. :)

Well, LT does stand for Lucent Technologies.

Humorous? Sigh. Well, no.

About the only downside of the Lucent buyout is the assumption that
Livingston instantly became "assimilated" and integrated into the 120k plus
employee base...

HA! Resistance isn't even an issue! :)

The scoop on all the WIN LT modems is that it is a Lucent Technology DSP
chip in the modem. It might even be the same DSP chip we use on the modem
card, but I'm not positive.

Now Lucent RABU uses modem code for the DSP from the Microelectronics Group
of Lucent. However, to my knowledge, the client modem vendors are writing
their own code for the DSP.

JGT