Re: (PM) 3.8b17 - SlIp

Ralf Sauther (pm-users@inka.de)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:27:42 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Olaf Klein wrote:

> Don't know, I have 1000 customers on my PM3, and they kill me every time,
> I install a new ComOS, because everything after 3.7.2 was only a piece
> of shit. Slip isn't working, Modems don't get connects (the 3.7.2 K56flex
> support is a joke, but 3.8.x is uglier). If I could sell my portmaster
> for the Price I payed for it, I would go and try everything else...

Well, as we all know from Megazone it was and it will be a problem
installing BETA software on a production machine. So far, so right.

But: The last real ComOS release (3.7.2c3) was in January (!). That is
*far* too long for my opinion. And that damn sentence "it will be ready
when it is ready" is complete bullshit. In Germany you could give up your
company whenever you want if you would tell your customers such words. And
it makes no difference, if you sell those upgrades or not.

I have upgraded our three PM3's since 3.5, remembered the desaster in
replacing the good old V.34-Cards to those K56-Cards. I also remember the
problems that our customers have, when they try dialing in into this
"nice" cards. And i remember "standing in the rain" with our
dialin-problems even after reporting those to Livingston. We did not even
get an acknowledge on it. Nothing. We only had the work for complaints,
support and error-discovery of our customers.

I am pretty disappointed, that the development of ComOS went this way.
It gives the touch of "banana software", which matures at the customer
:( Too bad.

The PM3 is a solid product (only two failures on 3 Units in 2 Years), but
the software is far beyond the hardware. And it makes me thoughtfully, if
i see, that even our distributor isn't very lucky this situation. How
should i recommend other ISP's products from Lucent ?

Ralf

--
Ralf Sauther -- rhs@inka.de