Re: (PM) 3.8b17 - CoNcLuSiOnS

John Storms (jstorms@livingston.com)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:00:30 -0700

Great feedback on 3.8b17, we really appreciate the participation in the
open beta. Below is our status on two issues going on in 3.8b17.

1 - '@!' bug: From information we've received from our customers we've
reproduced this issue in house and engineers are looking into it now.

This bug has been observed with the following characteristics: (I've
gathered this information from support and from this list.)

* Isolated in 3.8b17, not seen in b15 during open beta, not seen in b16
during closed beta. Customers downgrade to b15 and problem has not
reoccured. Customers downgrading to b13 also report the problem goes away.
* Seen in both US and Europe on a variety of switches.
* Only seen on sessions over PRI lines
* Only seen on sessions using dialin analog
* Seems to take a few hours for a port to get into this state
* A reboot seems to clear the problem for a few hours
* Win95 DUN PPP users get a "Unable to negotiate a compatible set of
protocols" msg.
* Win95 DUN PPP users that set a terminal screen after connect see a blank
screen. Should see a prompt.
* Login users will get a connect but no prompt.
* Connection is eventually disconnected after a few minutes.

2 - Also, the issue with the Framed-IP-Address not being reported in stop
records has been fixed and will be part of the next code sent out. Don't
ask, I don't know when :^)

At 06:03 PM 6/26/98 +0200, Blaz Zupan wrote:
>> Here is a thought.... What if this problem was happening all along but
>> in 3.8b17 they added a visual clue (the @! string) to help us find it?
>> hmmm. Very interesting.
>
>I don't think so. My users were not complaining when I had 3.8b13 loaded.
>One day of 3.8b17 and the phones started ringing with people complaining
>that they have to dial in a couple of times to get on.
>
>P.S.: Don't CC support@livingston.com, they really don't like that. If you
>must send something to the list and to them at the same time, use BCC.
>
>Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
>Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
>
>-
>To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with
>'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.

---
jstorms@lucent.com
Diplomacy:  The art of saying good doggie
while seaching for a big rock.