Re: (PM) New PM3 question...

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:23:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Mia's Virtual Post Office wrote:

[snip]

> I have a null modem cable and have
> connected one end to the CO port on the PM3, I have set the dip switch #1
> Up, I connected the other end of the null modem cable to my PC's serial
> port(printer port, I assume)

You assume incorrectly.

> I assume I need to set my
> terminal program to LPT1 not one of the COM ports as this null modem
> cable is plugged into the serial port not a com port. Can anyone
> recommend the best way to get an IP on the unit so I can configure it?

You'll need a null modem cable and a COM (serial) port on the PC. The
printer port will NOT work. PC COM ports usually have boy pins, and
printer ports have girl pins.

Recent PCs have 9-pin COM ports, the older ones have 25-pin, so you may
need an adapter in addition to the null cable.

> Also, if I have to use the null modem cable and terminal program setup,
> what term program should I be using? Thanx in advance...

Anything from the early DOS Procomm to Hyperterminal. Doesn't really
matter. I like the shareware program "CRT" which is both a nice telnet
app and a serial terminal emulator.

Default for Portmasters is 9600 bps, 8 data, 1 stop, no parity.

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net 805-884-6323 --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.