Re: (PM) Traffic bottleneck? No DNS?

Martin Preece (martint@phonetech.com)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:56:48 -0400

Stephen Henry wrote:

> Martin,
>
> I suspect your problem is software, not hardware. Check your clients who
> can 'connect but can't go anywhere' and see what software they are
> running. I bet they are all Win95. Check their version numbers --> My
> Computer --> Control Panel --> System. In the top right it says:
>
> System:
> Microsoft Windows 95
> 4.00.950 B
>
> ^ in this spot there will be an A or a B or nothing.
> If it's A or nothing then the client needs to upgrade. To find out exactly
> what's needed, check out:

Thanks for this suggestion and offer of access your page. This problem
doesn't seem to be with any particular Win 95 version. I get this
problem sometimes and I am running Win98 4.10.1998. This problem is
intermittent but seems to only occur with higher traffic loads.

Tatsuya Kawasaki wrote:

>If you think A pormaster is causing bottleneck. check memory usage of that portmaster try to connect to >another portmater to see the the problem still exists. try ping with IP address, this way, DNS is not used.

Memory was upgraded to 4MB. This problem happens with either PM-2e.
Sometimes (usually) you can only ping the ip address of the PM you are
connected to and can't "go anywhere" via an ip address. Occasionally
you can ping any ip and can "go somewhere" via an ip address. Another
observation is when this problem is occurring repeatedly I can dial in
via the USR Netserver and everything is OK.

Al Hooper wrote:

>Have you checked the collision rates on your ethernet? Overall the traffic generated by your PortMasters is >not that high to cause any problems. Can you run snoop or something like that to see whats happening on your >network. Maybe one of you servers is generating a large amount of traffic on your LAN.

>How many Class Cs are you routing? I can't determine what is being routed or what kind of routing load you >are generating without more details of your network. From your diagram is looks like its all on the
>one Class C network?

I am the tech that usually works with the users and I am trying to learn
the network side of things fast and our network person is not available
(other projects elsewhere). Therefore, I don't know how to check the
collision rate or how to determine how many Class Cs we are routing. I
will find out if you can tell what to look for.

I am a fast learner. Can anyone recommend a source book or site to get
up to speed fast on this subject?

Thank you all for all the help and the FAST! answers (or more
questions).

Martin