Re: (PM) SLC Series-5 -> PM2E (fwd)

Don Lashier (dl@newportnet.com)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 14:39:08 -0700

On 6/23/98, at 3:53 PM, Kyle Platts wrote:
>Don Lashier wrote:
>> I know you're the phone expert Kyle, but it is well known that at least
>> some model SLCs have the capability to "double up" capacity by squeezing
>> bandwidth - maybe not a Lucent SLC series 5, but MZ wasn't claiming any
>> particular model.

>They do not "squeeze" bandwidth. They use concentration. Some of the
>Digital Loop Carrier systems that use this are Nortel DMS Urbans and
>Rurals and SLC-96 Mode 2.
>
>To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen or heard of a device
>putting more than one voice call on a single DS0. I know for certain
>that it is NEVER done in a SLC-96.

It is DMS Urbans in this case. I don't know technically what they
do to "squeeze" connections, but the net result is that connect speeds
are limited to around 21.6k or 24k at the most. We have customers on
some Urbans with no problems, but one USW Urban here has this limitation.
The local USW guys tell me it's because they're routing more that 24
connections per T1 because of fast growth in the area. To me, this is
"squeezing" bandwidth. Don't mean to get picky over terminology here,
but the end result is that there is reduced bandwidth available per
connection.

Don