Re: (PM) SLC Series-5 -> PM2E (fwd)

Don Lashier (dl@newportnet.com)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:17:08 -0700

On 6/23/98, at 8:57 AM, Kyle Platts wrote:
>MegaZone wrote:
>> OR, in areas suffering form trunk shortage, places the telco doesn't=
feel
>> they'll make money, etc, you can run *2* T1 trunks (and a 3rd for=
backup)
>> and MUX it so that there are 2 lines on each DS0. Each line gets only=
half
>> a channel. The most commonly reported symptom of this is connect rates
>> hit a 26.4K ceiling.
>
>This is absolutely incorrect. This configuration would imply that it is
>a mode 2 SLC-96. This is a SLC series 5.

I know you're the phone expert Kyle, but it is well known that at least
some model SLCs have the capability to "double up" capacity by squeezing
bandwidth - maybe not a Lucent SLC series 5, but MZ wasn't claiming any
particular model. We also have a situation where USW is squeezing bandwidth
on an intercity trunk (2 conversations per DS0) and this really wrecks
havoc with connect speeds - we're talking 12k to 14.4k limit here. In=
addition,
the process (at least in this case) introduces all sorts of pops and=
whistles
that cause disconnect problems.

Don