RE: (PM) Hardware failures for PM3??

Matthew Walker (mwalker@lidcam.com.au)
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:39:27 +1000

Daryl Maunder <dmaunder@midnightoil.com.au> writes:
>On Saturday, June 20, 1998 7:25 PM, Chad Scott [SMTP:chads@livingston.com]
>wrote:
>> If a unit has problems, contact support via telephone. They will attempt
>> to resolve the problem and will cross-ship you a replacement if needed.
>
>Except in Australia, where according to their price list, it appears you need
>to pay the local distributor almost $2000 per year per PM3 maintenence so
>they
>will ship a replacement unit on failure. Mind you, that is better than what
>they want in maintenence for a PM2. $735 per year, when I could buy one from
>Jake for not much more shipping included!

Just thought I'd give you an explanation of Lidcam's maintenance pricing
for PortMaster equipment.

For the PortMaster 3 we will replace from stock any failed unit if we have
one available. If the unit was dead on arrival that's the end of it, we
organise an RMA from Lucent and use that unit to replace the one we have
given you. If it is a unit you have had for some time we will have to swap
it back for the replacement from Lucent when it arrives due to warranty
issues. However if due to lead times on getting new equipment we do not
have a unit available then we have to wait for a unit to ship from Lucent
to us. This takes at least 4 days, dependent of course on when the failure
occurs.

What the maintenance guarantees you is that we will have a replacement unit
available to ship to you immediately, rather than on a best effort basis
without maintenance. Lucent do not provide us with units as spares in
country. This requires us to purchase and keep in stock brand new units to
run this program.

Now that some PM3's are coming out of warranty in this country, this
pricing will change, probably to a two tier system. We have also recently
negotiated to purchase some replacement units which should eliminate the
warranty swap arounds and reduce our costs somewhat.

For the PortMaster 2 that price includes replacement of a failed unit out
of warranty, this costs $1500 if you do not have a maintenance agreement
with us. Unfortunately we do not have available Livingston's ProVision
maintenance to onsell, otherwise we could probably reduce the price
somewhat.

If you have any further queries please let me know.
Regards

Matthew Walker

Matthew Walker <mailto:mwalker@lidcam.com.au> Lidcam Technology
Ph: +61 3 9820 9077 Level 5 499 St Kilda Rd
Fax: +61 3 9866 1245 Melbourne VIC 3004
<http://www.lidcam.com.au/> AUSTRALIA