Re: (PM) load balancing

Mike Taylor (taylor@syrinx.jeffnet.org)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:13:49 +0000 ( )

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Tim Cassedy-Blum wrote:

> > And it works wonders with Linux. I have 3 modems hooked to my Linux box,
> > and an Ethernet card to the rest of the house. I have seen xfer rates of
> > about 70-72k. Had to hunt around awhile for a copy of EQL-ENSLAVE, but
> > it wasn't that painful.
>
> Okay, THIS is what I want to do. Can you tell me what I need to do to do
> this?

One of my favorite PM subjects.

1) install modems into Linux box
2) using a static ip address setup 1 modem to dial into your Portmaster.
3) once you get that working copy the dial-up script and change the /dev/
entry to match the modems. All the scripts should be identical except
for the callout device. (look for /usr/sbin/ppp-on)
4) when they are all connected you should have a pppX for each modem
then run something like this:

ifconfig eql xxx.xxx.static.ip mtu 1500
eql_enslave eql ppp0 115200
eql_enslave eql ppp1 115200
eql_enslave eql ppp2 115200
route add default dev eql

your done except for the fine tuning. The magical Portmaster will
automatically balance between identical ip's, for incoming data, you need
EQL to balance the outgoing data. (don't forget to compile EQL into your
kernel). Also vj compression must be off, and you should not use the
defaultroute option.