Re: (PM) CT-1 Down,,,

Kyle Platts (kwplat1@uswest.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:47:58 -0500

Mia's Virtual Post Office wrote:

> >>mia.net> sh line0
> >>---------------------- line0 - T1 Inband DS0 ---------------

> >> * Loopback *
> >
> >You're in loopback. Initiated by the telco.
>
> Got that, they just did that because a tech is coming out to test from
> here.
> >
> >> Signaling: Trunk E&M wink start
> >>
> >> Receive Level: -7.5dB to -15dB
> >
> >This looks pretty low. You want this as near to 0dB as you can get, from
> >my experience.

Receive level for the most part is totally irrelevant (as long as it is
within spec). Your receive level has more to do with how the circuit is
designed than anything else.

> Got that as well, but we have been at this recieve level since we started
> and get an average of 48k to 50k connect speeds from v.90 and kFlex.
> >
> >> Alarms Violations
> >> ----------------------------- -----------------------------
> >> Blue 7 Bipolar 704382
> >> *Yellow 3 CRC Errors 2
> >
> >Yellow alarms are a Bad Thing [TM]. You should definitely let the telco
> >know that you are seeing a Yellow Alarm. The asterisk means that its
> >currently happening.
>
> Tried to tell them numerous times, but they won't listen, they insist the
> PM3 is dead. They say they cannot get a signal from the CSU in the PM3

This is exactly why you are seeing a yellow alarm!!!! The telco cannot
see a signal coming from the PM3, so it sends an unframed all ones
signal (yellow alarm) back to you to let you know this!!!!

> >> Receive Carrier Loss 1 Multiframe Sync 211618
> >> Loss of Sync 5
> >>
> >>Help! We have been down for over 4 hrs and the phone company as usually
> >>says its the PM3's fault.. I dont think so.

For obvious reasons.

> >>This is where we are at right now. (see above) They claim that they do
> >>not get a signal from the CSU. Nothing has changed here. Any ideas
> >
> >Looks like the receive level is really low. Reboot the portmaster, if
> >just to zero out the counters, and see what is incrementing. If you are
> >really getting a receive level that low, something is not right. Of
> >course, do the "idiot" checking and make sure the cables are all seated
> >properly. ( been there... )
> >
> Have rebooted 3 times now and they have done several things including
> removing the LoopBack, but we still get alarms. Check Cables etc. But
> when they remove the loopback the PM3 Line0 goes "GREEN" So all seems
> well. But I still show Loss of Sync and Recieve Carrier Loss Alarms, but
> then no Blue or Yellow alarms.

This would indicate you have trouble coming into you now. A simple
looping plug can tell you alot about the circuit.

--
Kyle Platts
Network Engineer