Re: (PM) Dialup ISDN w/ORU Problems

Joe Hartley (jh@metheny.brainiac.com)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 10:53:53 -0400 (EDT)

Rick Smith <rsmith@nac.net> wrote:

> Anyone see this ? How did you COMPLETELY solve it?
>
> Their router dials up every minute, idles out at their
> location-specified idle timeout of 45 seconds, and then
> reconnects and beings that process all over again.

I'll bet a nickle they've got an NT machine on the network somewhere.
We have a customer that started as an ISDN on-demand dialup, and saw the
same thing. They thought it was our fault, looking at mis-programming of
the router, but the router never dialed when not connected to the network.

They methodically removed each computer (mostly Unix, some Win95) from
the network, and waited for a connection. When they took the NT4.0 machine
off, the connections stopped. As far as services and the like, the machine
had virtually nothing on it - it had an IP address and 255.255.255.0 mask,
but yet it still wanted to go somewhere that wasn't local. We never
bothered to put a sniffer on it, but the theory was that it had to keep
checking in with the mothership!