Re: (PM) Anyone can help? Impatient PM3.

Thomas Kinnen (tkinnen@usacomputers.net)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 08:45:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Jean-Francois Laplante wrote:

> When a PM send an accounting record, it sometime doesn't seem to receive
> its ack soon enough from the Radius deamon and it resends it again even if
> the record was accepted and acknowledged by the radius deamon. The result
> of this is a duplicated key record tring to be inserted in the database.

There is a time limit on how long the PM waits for a response. If it
times out it sends it again. This is how it is supposed to work. If yo

> For some reason, the OBBC database after being bombarded a few thousand
> times per day with 10-20 duplicate records tends to grow at a fatastic
> rate. A simple OBDC "compact" restores the size to normal. A 10mb
> database can become a 800mb monster after a week and shrink down to 10mb
> after a ODBC "compact"

This sounds like your Radius server can not keep up with the requests.
The server should not enter duplicate requests into the DB. Also from the
sound of it you are using Access for the DB. Access just can not handle a
heavy work load. I was able to out perform an Access DB with one PM
feeding it records.

> I think one of the solution to the problem is to prolong the lenght of time
> that the PM waits for ack from the radius deamon for an accounting record.
> Can this be done and if so, how?

Nope.

> Another reason could be to use my SQL server by I'm not quite ready for
> this. I like the portability and flexibility of ODBC for now. The
> login authentification times are still very good.

SQL server does do ODBC (At least all I've used)

Tom