Re: (PM) v.90

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 22:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Perry J. Blalock wrote:

> Will the new PM3 v.90 code support users with the K56 Flex modems? If so,
> what are the problems if any?

Yes. The problems that I've experienced, and that have been cussed and
discussed on the list with the b15 v.90 code are:

The v.90 code doesn't work with Rockwell-based modems. So if you make a
big announcement, and your K56Flex people flash to v.90, they'll have
problems. Especially if they have modems with only enough memory to
hold K56Flex or v.90 but not both. The v.90 code works with Lucent
client modems, and with USR/TI client modems. K56Flex still works.

The other problem, and the one that caused us to back out v.90, is that
it degrades the performance of v.34 modems. In our case, the users are
typicallying showing good connect speeds (28800 or 31200) but the actual
data throughput is dog slow, like 1200 baud. Not always, but for enough
customers that it was a serious problem.

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net 805-884-6323 --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.