Re: (PM) List of PM3 connection tricks? (fwd)

Joe Hartley (jh@metheny.brainiac.com)
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:18:48 -0400 (EDT)

MegaZone <megazone@megazone.org> wrote:
> Once upon a time Joe Hartley shaped the electrons to say...
> >Whoops! I _know_ better than that, but it's been a long day :-/
> >3.8b15 USR Courier internal modem, flash upgraded to V.90
>
> b15 has many known issues with modems. If the Courier can't get V.90 with
> the PM-3 it will revert to V.34 - and b15 has MANY V.34 problems. I'd back
> off to b13, or 3.7.2c3 for now.

Not really an option. We initially held out on getting digital service
because we didn't want to play the X2/K56Flex game. I realize that both
the V.90 standard and the Lucent implementation of it are in beta -
that's why the new PRI dialup number wasn't given to all the customers,
just those who have been champing at the bit for 56K access. I'm hoping
there's a new beta with improved V.34 code in the very near future. Our
beta test will continue at least until then.

Unfortunately, my partner the business manager decides the first thing he's
going to do is upgrade (sic) his USR to V.90 and try to connect, then he
bitches and moans that it's not working right. Sometimes he proves to be
more technically challenged than I care to think about!

Fortunately, a few reboots of his machine later, Pluto aligned with Saturn
and he got the one clean line out of Podunkville and has been on for 2 days
with a connection in the mid-40's.