Re: (PM) PMVision Suite of Tools

Chris Parker (cparker@starnetusa.net)
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 11:57:12 -0500

At 12:46 PM 6/8/98 -0400, Stephen Zedalis wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Chris Parker wrote:
>
>>I use SNMP for things like that. Proprietary interfaces change or get
>>deprecated, as it the case here, you use them at your own risk. For those
>>that have multi-vendor environments, SNMP works for all of them, the same
>>way. That's what SNMP is there for. Yes it's slower than a native
>>proprietary interface, but that's the same argument as C vs. Java. Wider
>>compatability comes with a speed tradeoff.
>
>Agree..
>
>You forgot to mention that it (SNMP) is also less reliable as it uses
>connectionless UDP for transport vice holding open one TCP connection.

No, UDP is less reliable than TCP, as it is a "best effort" protocol.
However, a properly written SNMP application will realize that a complete
response wansn't received and should resend the poll. If not, it's not
SNMP's fault, it's the program's for not handling the error properly.

But that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. ;)

-Chris

--
   \\\|||///  \  Chris Parker: Systems Administration and Development
   \ ~   ~ /   \   cparker@starnetusa.net   \   cparker@megapop.net
   | @   @ |    \    www.starnetusa.net      \    www.megapop.net
                  \ Without C we would have 'obol', 'basi', and 'pasal'