Re: (PM) PMVision Suite of Tools

Chris Parker (cparker@starnetusa.net)
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 11:05:41 -0500

At 11:32 AM 6/8/98 -0400, Stephen Zedalis wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:
>
>>Processors are quite a bit faster these days.
>
>So? Thats an excuse I would expect from a Bill Gates, not you.

I don't think that is an excuse. It is a fact that Lucent realizes.
Never did anyone claim that the Java based utilities will be as fast as
the C based ones. They are slower, yes, but by an amount that Lucent
finds to be reasonable. How much slower? I don't know, but I'll bet
that other than a brief pause as the VM initializes, you won't be able to
ascertain much difference between a c-based 'pminstall' and java based
'pminstall'.

>>Java is new, java programmers are new, new concepts, Im sure when C was
>>new, C programs had lots more bugs than Cobol programs.
>
>I'm not the one who stated Java was less buggy, Lucent did. Now let them
>explain it is less buggy than C and that is why they are shifting to it.

They never said it was less buggy. They said it is less susceptible to
memory mis-allocations and improper pointer handling, which is where most
C programs have problems.

>Not to mention, they never asked US what type administrative apps we
>wanted.

Well, okay then. I cast MY vote for the java apps.

>>> dealing with pointers from user code, although I've seen tons of pointer
>>> errors from poorly written interpreters themselves). Amber is nice, but
>>> if it is one thing, that one thing is SLOOOWWW.
>>
>>What machine are you running Amber on?
>
>Alpha PC164 - 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM running Linux. Nothing else running...
>
>Also tried on Windows NT Workstation Pentium 233 MMX with 64 MB RAM.
>Nothing else running...
>
>I guess I need MORE horsepower than that?

No, just more realistic expectations.

>I do agree however that speed is subjective, when comparing a C program
>to Java, it is slower -> REALLY! Even Sun admits that, then tries to
>pooh-pooh it by saying new JIT techology "may" make the Java app faster.

Yes it is slower. But how much raw speed do you need out of 'pminstall'?
Nobody is trying to say that Java is faster, in fact, everybody is agreeing
that it is slower. The main reasons behind Lucent RABU's shift to Java
was to gain more cross-platform compatability with a SINGLE code-base.
There is a speed tradeoff, but Lucent RABU, and I agree with them on this,
decided that was worth the benefits gained by using Java.

Lucent RABU can't please all of the people all of the time.

-Chris

--
   \\\|||///  \  Chris Parker: Systems Administration and Development
   \ ~   ~ /   \   cparker@starnetusa.net   \   cparker@megapop.net
   | @   @ |    \    www.starnetusa.net      \    www.megapop.net
                  \ Without C we would have 'obol', 'basi', and 'pasal'