Re: (PM) PMVision Suite of Tools

Andrew Doolittle (andy@livingston.com)
Sun, 07 Jun 1998 13:06:26 -0700

So glad I could clear a few things up for people. Let me try to undo what
I have done.

At 11:18 AM 6/6/98 -0700, Roy wrote:
>Executive summary: Livingston is dropping support for text mode
>utilities. Those of us that have to use text mode are screwed.

No. We have command line utilities written in Java instead of C. The
disadvantage is that you need the Java VM. The advantage is that you can
run it anywhere you can *get* the Java VM, not just the handful of
platforms the current tools are available on now.

If you mean we're not going to do the equivalent of pmterm (curses VT100
mode pmconsole like thing), you're right.

>It's a problem for me - I'm still running SunOS 4.1.4 on the IPX here
>at home, and Sun's specifically not got a JRE for that OS. Looks like
>I'm limited to the (shudder) Windoze box for this.
>
>Ah, well, the misery of legacy systems...

I think we're running with a SunOS VM here for testing - I'll try to find
out which one. Maybe Micro$oft will jump in the gap and provide a SunOS VM
8-)

>As far as I'm concerned, having to have a JRE is even worse than
>having to use a GUI.

Why?

>I am no more interested in CLI tools than I am in GUI tools. I don't
>even like having to use pm_install. I'd be a lot happier if I could
>rely on using tftp for upgrades, but so far it doesn't inspire a whole
>lot of confidence.

I haven't had problems with tftp upgrades, but I haven't done that many.
What does not inspire confidence?

andy
++++

NOC Advocate andy@livingston.com
Lucent Technologies, Remote Access Business Unit (510)737-2151
4464 Willow Road http://www.livingston.com
Pleasanton, CA 94588 http://www.lucent.com