RE: (PM) Stuck Modems on PM2E

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 20:27:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Jim Lohiser wrote:

> The relays that I chose were small enough to fit inside the modem. I
> also selected a model that required very little control current so as
> to not strain the PM2. It only took about 30-40 minutes to modify each
> modem (after the first one, of course). We never had a problem again.

That's an awful lot of trouble to go through to "save a few bucks" per
modem...especially now when you can buy ISPorte analog modems for about
$100 (or less) per port. In about 200 ports, over a year or so, I think
I've seen ISPortes lock up maybe once.

We also have several MP/16 and MP/8 units, and have never seen them hang
unless they were going bad. Back when USR had decent warranty support, it
was a breeze to get them to just swap out bad units. Now they want you to
buy a maintenance contract.