Re: (PM) Callback and Windows NT

Steffen Clausjuergens (stcl@hamburg.pop.de)
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 19:30:33 GMT+0100

On 7 Jun 98 at 16:15, Terje Sten Bjerkseth wrote:
> We'd like to try out callback to Windows NT 4.0 from a PM2 using ISDN.
> I've browsed through the Tech Notes and some of the archives, but I
> haven't found anything special on callback. I realize that I "just" have to
> add a location entry to the PM2 and use a different reply-item in RADIUS,
> but was wondering if there are any public how-tos or checklists on getting
> it working. Has anyone got it working? -tsb
It won`t work! Microsoft (and many other vendors) use a special protocol.
If you want to use call back, you`ll dial into a PM give your username and
password and the PM emediatly hangs up and calls you back.
Most vendors expect a reply from the PM that he will call you back and won`t
accept any incomeing calls if this answer is missing.
There is no RFC for this, so MS ueses his own LCP extension, which Livingston
doen`t support.
You have two choices: Do some modem hacks like in
http://domino.mms.de/tech.nsf/
85f7e8c9de4cc779c1256429004f1760/35c2d37463841996c12564ac004aff97?OpenDocument

or use anther product. Nearly every other vendor supports the MS LCP extension.

Best regards,
Steffen