Re: (PM) Stuck Modems on PM2E

Brian Elfert (brian@citilink.com)
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 10:06:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 jp@sugar.midcoast.com wrote:
>
> > Made some busy-plugs, ordered more MP16's, asked the office manager to
> > call the insurance company.
>
> Seems like MOST of those responding to this thread are mentioning
> specifically the USR MP 16's. Are they quite susceptable to this sort of
> thing? Are they no good? Or are there just a lot of them? I was
> considering replacing a set of supras in a remote location with an MP 16.
> Any thoughts?

Any modems can get fried by a lightning strike.

Before CLECs brought in cheap CT1s, I used all MP/8s and MP/16s.

They worked great. One of them did get eight of it's modems fried in a
storm, but that's not USR's fault.

Only had one problem. A specific client had a pool of modems they used to
dial us. One of those modems would cause our modem to lock up if we
diconnected them for being idle. No problems if they disconnected
normally. This would cause about one modem a month to lock up.

Brian