Re: (PM) Stuck Modems on PM2E

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 00:34:21 -0700

At 23:14 -0500 6/5/98, Jake Messinger wrote:
>On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 jp@sugar.midcoast.com wrote:
>
>> Made some busy-plugs, ordered more MP16's, asked the office manager to
>> call the insurance company.
>
>Seems like MOST of those responding to this thread are mentioning
>specifically the USR MP 16's. Are they quite susceptable to this sort of
>thing? Are they no good? Or are there just a lot of them? I was
>considering replacing a set of supras in a remote location with an MP 16.
>Any thoughts?

The only annoyance we have with the USR MP/8 and MP/16 chassis we have (112
modems total, I think <but it's late>) is the wedged modem (USERNAME)
thing. And, once in a while, one will develop a ring-no-answer problem
(not counting our most recent of those, which was cured by unpluging the
phone line and plugging it in again (likely "stuff" on the connectors).
Those are generally curable (if they aren't physical connection problems)
by blasting our INIT string into the modem a couple of times.

An MP/16 certainly beats having 16 individual modems with their power
bricks, etc. The next step in neatness of the facility, of course, is
PortMaster 3, replacing 16 DTE cables and 16 phone pairs with part of one
T1. (Or 48 DTE cables, 48 phone pairs with 2 T1s). [We use a mix of
single, double, and quad pair phone lines.] [We aren't in the PM4 range.]

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish,