Re: (PM) Stuck Modems on PM2E

jp@sugar.midcoast.com
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 23:32:15 -0400 (EDT)

We had about 20 ports in the USERNAME state after a recent direct
lightning strike.

In the past it had happened on rare ocassion and powercycling the MP16
took care of it. Users would hunt right past it. Also a bad serial cable
could cause this.

This time, all but one of the USERNAME states was due to fried MP16 ports.
Users would get CONNECT 33600... and then all gibberish.

Made some busy-plugs, ordered more MP16's, asked the office manager to
call the insurance company.

> On 6/5/98, at 8:52 AM, Chad Schwartz wrote:
> >You know, I had heard about something like this, with mp/16's before. One
> >of my colleagues had the same type of situation, and would have a CERTAIN
> >CUSTOMER call in, and make a connection. After they'd make the
> >connection, they would surf the 'net just fine.
> >
> >however, when they would DISCONNECT, it would lock the port, on the MP/16.
> >(leaving the PM2e-30 in "USERNAME" state.)
> >
> > There was no visible way to fix this. I think it is a bug in USR modem
> >code, myself.
>
> Had this happen a couple of years ago. Tracked the modem down
> (a USR) and had the customer throw it away. Started happening
> again a few months ago but haven't been able to id the customer
> yet.
>
> Don

/*
Jason Philbrook         |         Midcoast Internet Solutions
jp@midcoast.com         |     Internet Access, LAN, WAN, and Linux
www.midcoast.com/jp/    |   Service and Consulting for Midcoast Maine
*/