Re: (PM) Location wont time-out

Gary McKinney (gmckinney@megabits.net)
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 09:18:34 -0400

Yes - We ran into that exact problem. NT4 has the ability to utilize a form
of Dynamic DNS using WINS - that is what our customer wanted as they have
clients come to their site with laptops and the laptops needed to be
assigned addresses dynamically via DHCP BUT the client wanted the laptops to
be accessible from the Internet ... Hince the DNS/WINS combo (I think
Microsoft is working on a version along this line to match the proposed
dynamic DNS roc and are going to put in their own suggestions on
implementation since they already have some experience in the area).

Go to the DNS services manager, select the domain, select the properties and
set the WINS check box to Local ( or something like that - the help section
is really poorly done in this area ) - that will keep the NT DNS from trying
to send the WINS information block to the Unix secondary server. The normal
default is to send the WINS information block and that is what is causing
the problem ( something like ID 32682 or some such number - the wrong one
anyway for BIND ).

I saw a post mentioning changing the NT DNS to NT Bind - that is another way
to go but you lose the ability to use the DNS/WINS combo on the NT and I
doubt that is what your client wants to do <grin>.

The world of OS's is converging - just wait for NT-6... (kernel in
assembly - security functions Selectable - several other changes which will
increase speed by almost a factor of 6).

NOTE: I am not an advocate of Microsoft or any other OS supplier - I am an
advocate for everything working together seamlessly!!!

Gary N. McKinney, MegaBits Online Systems Administrator
http://www.megabits.net http://www.megastar.net http://www.realweb.net
(407) 453-5900
Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still
be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement.
-- Snoopy